The ‘Dirty Dozen’ and how toxins are making you FAT…
Today we are going to lift the lid on some of the most toxic substances that you may be ingesting on a daily basis without even knowing it. Yes it’s time to start looking at the labels on your personal care products, along with your food…
You are also going to learn about where these toxins are stored in your body and I’m sure you are going to be surprised…
But first…should we really be concerned?
Unfortunately these days, we are living in an increasingly polluted world. More people are moving closer to the big cities to live and work and there are toxic chemicals sprayed onto the food we eat, released into the air we breathe and even into the water we drink. I hate to say it but the chances are, your body is in a state of toxic overload…
A 2009 study conducted by the not-for-profit organization the Environmental Working Group, found up to 232 chemicals in the umbilical cord blood of 10 babies born in that year.
So if a baby is exposed to this many chemicals, imagine how many you are exposed to in your life!
“For 80 percent of the common chemicals in everyday use in this country we know almost nothing about whether or not they can damage the brains of children, the immune system, the reproductive system, and the other developing organs,” said Dr. Phil Landrigan, a paediatrician and director of the Children’s Environmental Health Center at Mount Sinai School of Medicine.
It’s not hard to see why we should be paying more attention to the toxins that we are exposing our bodies (and our family) to on a daily basis…
What are the symptoms of toxic overload?
Some of the common symptoms of chronic toxicity include:
- Fatigue and sleep problems
- Difficulty concentrating and ‘brain fog’
- Food cravings
- Trouble losing weight
- Dark circles under the eyes
- Skin problems (e.g. acne, rashes, eczema and psoriasis)
- Joint pain and muscle aches
- Sinus congestion
- Bloating and gas
- Premenstrual syndrome and other menstrual disorders
- Diarrhoea or constipation
- Water retention
- Canker sores
- Bad breath
If you experience some of these symptoms, detoxification could be the key to unlocking your health and vitality. The first step is to become more aware of where these toxins are hiding…
Do your ‘personal-care’ products contain poison?
The chemicals identified in the EWG study of umbilical cord blood are found in a wide array of common household products that include cosmetics, shampoos and conditioners, shower curtains, plastics, mattresses, electronics (e.g. computers and mobile phones), amongst others…
Your skin is your largest organ and many of these chemicals are being absorbed into your body…
Some of the most harmful toxins are called endocrine disruptors. These are chemicals that may interfere with the body’s endocrine system and can cause adverse developmental, reproductive, neurological and immune effects in both humans and wildlife.
You have probably heard of BPA (Bisphenol A)? This is an endocrine disruptor that can leach into food from canned goods and plastic storage containers. Check the labels and make sure that you are only purchasing BPA-free containers and canned food.
Other poisons that are commonly included in so called ‘personal-care’ products, that you may be using on a daily basis include:
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) / sodium laureth sulfate (SLES): This is a surfactant that can be found in over 90% of cleaning and personal-care products such as shampoo, body wash and mascara. They are known to be eye, skin and lung irritants. Their interaction with certain other chemicals can form nitrosamines which are carcinogenic and can also cause a whole host of other health issues such as respiratory and kidney damage.
- Phthalates: Often called plasticizers, these are a group of chemicals that are used as solvents (dissolving agents) and to make plastics more flexible. Like BPA, they are known as endocrine disruptors and have been linked to an increased risk of breast cancer and reproductive birth defects. Believe it or not they are commonly added to ‘personal-care’ products such as shampoos, perfumes, moisturizers, hair sprays and nail polishes. Look out for added ‘fragrance’ as this often means hidden phthalates.
- Parabens: These chemicals are commonly used as preservatives to prevent the growth of mold, bacteria and yeasts in cosmetic products. However, they are also endocrine disruptors with estrogen-mimicking properties and a 2012 study found that 99% of breast cancer tissues sampled had detectable concentrations of parabens. They have also been linked to lower sperm counts, obesity, diabetes, birth defects and thyroid irregularities. They are most commonly found in deodorants and antiperspirants along with make-up, body/ facial washes and some foods.
- Sunscreen chemicals: Not a lot of people know that many of the sunscreens on the market actually contain toxic chemicals that include octinoxate and homosalate which have endocrine disrupting effects and are easily absorbed into the body. These chemicals are included to absorb ultraviolet light, but may in-fact have more worrying side-effects such as cancer, hormone disruption and allergies.
Question: Given the hidden poisons identified in these every-day products, would this then make them anti-care products?
The EWG’s Skin Deep Database is a great place to start when trying to source chemical free personal care products…
Are you eating toxins?
With the rise of growth hormone and antibiotic-fed livestock, along with pesticide sprayed fruit and vegetables, the importance of sourcing organic food is critical to your overall health and in detoxifying your body.
Studies have shown that organic fruit and vegetables contain up to 69% more anti-oxidants than non-organic varieties.
Each year the EWG announce the ‘Dirty Dozen’, which are the top 12 foods that may contain the highest load of pesticides, the majority of which are endocrine disruptors and carcinogenic.
Here is the most recent list:
The Dirty Dozen:
|#1 STRAWBERRIES||#5 CELERY||#9 TOMATOES|
|#2 APPLES||#6 GRAPES||#10 SWEET BELL PEPPERS/ CAPSICUMS|
|#3 NECTARINES||#7 CHERRIES||#11 CHERRY TOMATOES|
|#4 PEACHES||#8 SPINACH||#12 CUCUMBERS|
But don’t get me wrong, these foods are nutrient-dense and important to include as part of any healthy eating regime. Just make sure that you go to your local market or health food store to source organically grown foods. At the very least, make sure that you wash your fruit and veggies thoroughly before eating them…
Where else are toxins hiding?
Toxins can also be lurking in the water we drink, the air we breathe and even in our everyday cooking utensils!
The EPA have noted that ‘indoor air pollution is among the top five environmental health risks’ and studies conducted by the EWG, have identified 316 chemicals in U.S. tap water – 202 of which aren’t regulated. Our public water supply is regulated but clearly not very well, and as for bottled water, well it is barely regulated at all!
Clearly we have just touched the surface here – if you would like to take action today to begin clearing our toxins from your body, we recommend you download our [FREE DETOX TOOLKIT HERE]
Yes it’s a toxic world out there, but power to you for wanting to learn more! This is essential information that can make an incredible change to your health and that of your loved ones…
Did you know that toxins are making you FAT?
It has been scientifically proven that when your body is in toxic overload it increases the number of fat cells (also referred to as white adipose tissue) and actually stores toxins in these fat cells!
For some people, the main reason why conventional diets generate a yo-yo effect is because they don’t cleanse the body prior to changing their eating habits. The toxins need to be flushed out first…
Once endocrine disruptors enter your blood stream, they can wreak havoc on your hormone levels and may cause estrogen dominance, which can in turn result in weight gain and other serious health complications such as cancer…
Don’t mean to sound alarming, but what the science is telling us is that we all need to learn a little bit more about how we can cleanse our bodies (which may currently resemble a toxic waste dump?) and make smarter choices at the supermarket….
Knowledge is power!
So where do I start in reducing the toxic burden on my body?
Unfortunately conventional health services are often unable to help with nutrition and detoxification issues…
Thankfully scientists and holistic practitioners are starting to understand the importance of detoxification to your overall health.
Look at what you eat and drink as your daily medicine. You need to commit to limiting your exposure to these chemicals and take action.
“One small step can change your life”
Let’s start with your external environment to remove environmental toxins that you may come in contact with on a daily basis…
We are talking about the air you breathe, the electromagnetic energy that you are exposed to and the utensils you use for cleaning and cooking etc.…
Here are our top 5 ways to cleanse your external environment:
- Use deodorant, cosmetics and skin care products which are free of known toxic chemicals and avoid artificial air fresheners and other synthetic fragrances.
- Avoid heating (e.g. microwaving) plastic containers (use glass instead) and make sure that you only purchase BPA free drink bottles and canned goods.
- Use eco-friendly paints and cleaners in your home – effective but natural cleaning agents include bicarbonate of soda, eucalyptus oil and white vinegar.
- Improve the ventilation in your home or office and bring more greenery in to improve the indoor air quality. Plants consume carbon dioxide and emit oxygen. Avoid excess electromagnetic radiation by placing your mobile phone, tablet or laptop at least 5 m from where you are sleeping, preferably in another room.
- Use natural substances to deal with pests in your home – these may include growing a citronella plant to ward off mosquitoes or using orange essential oil to deal with other pests.
The next step is to cleanse your internal environment, your body…
By implementing an internal cleanse you can start filling your body with life giving essential nutrients and clear out wastes and toxins.
Keep an eye out for our next post on how to reduce the toxic load on your body…
In the meanwhile, download our [FREE DETOX TOOLKIT HERE] – so that you can get going TODAY.
Remember: “One small step can change your life”